7 Things You Must See, Do, Eat & Drink in Joseph, Oregon
Are you planning a once-in-a-lifetime whitewater rafting or guided fly fishing adventure to Eastern Oregon? If you’ve never been to the area before, you’re in for a real treat! There’s so much to do, see, eat, and drink in Joseph– beyond enjoying the great outdoors that is!
In this month’s post, we’ll show you some of our favorite Joseph, Oregon hotspots that your whole family will love. There’ll be great ideas for day hikes, fun side trips for the whole family, and places to relax and have fun in town for the non-fishermen!
If you like this post, you’ll love our new and updated Insider’s Guide to Joseph, Oregon. Request your copy here. And if we missed something that you love about the area, let us know on our Facebook page!
1. Don’t Miss the Wallowa County Farmers Market!
Every Saturday morning (well, from May through October), downtown Joseph comes alive as locals and tourists shop at the Wallowa County Farmers Market. You’ll find tons of amazing, delicious, fresh local produce, as well as free-range meat, local arts and crafts, and much more.
There’s even live music and other fun events!
2. You’ll Love the Mountain Bike Trails
In addition to world-class whitewater rafting, Eastern Oregon is home to some of the best mountain biking in the entire world (in our humble opinion). Our local multi-use trails offer anywhere from 7-20 miles of incredible single track. There are options for beginners and expert riders alike. There’s plenty of hills, too– if you’re looking for a challenge!
Our favorite trails:
- Redmont Trail Network – This trail system offers with amazing views of the Wallowa and Seven Devils mountain ranges and beautiful forests.
- Wagon Road Trail – This trail is a 5-mile out and back that’s best for more experienced riders. You’ll love the challenging switchbacks on this trail!
Don’t Forget: You can get a free map of local trails from the Wallowa County Chamber of Commerce!
3. Take a Trip on The Tram
Looking for an amazing view without having to ride your bike up a mountain? The whole family will love the Wallowa Lake Tram! The tram gains nearly 4,000 feet in elevation, ending at the top of Mount Howard– a bit over 8,000 feet above sea level.
From there, you can enjoy lunch at Summit Grill. Then take a fun (but challenging) hike on the East Peak Trail, all the way to Aneroid Peak (9,700+ feet above sea level).
4. Choose Your Brew: Coffee or Beer?
Whether you’re looking for a coffee to get you going in the morning or a local craft beer to wind down at the end of the day, Joseph, Oregon has you covered!
Our favorite local spots:
- Red Horse Coffee Traders – Right in downtown Joseph, a great spot to hit up before seeing the sights or visiting the Farmers Market.
- Arrowhead Chocolates & Coffee – Another downtown Joseph staple (find it on Main Street!), their chocolates have won national awards!
- Terminal Gravity Brewery – Located in nearby Enterprise, Oregon, we love Terminal Gravity Brewery! Great beer and great food! Their TG IPA is rightfully world-famous!
- Embers Brew House – The biggest selection of local microbrews plus some of the best pizza around! A great spot to catch a live band, too– after a day of catching Rainbow Trout!
5. See Local Artwork You’ll Love!
From endless blue skies to raging rivers to towering mountains, the natural beauty of Eastern Oregon has inspired local artists for generations. When you’re visiting Joseph, Oregon, make sure to check out:
- Valley Bronze – For more than 35 years, they’ve been casting bronze statues that are seen around the world!
- Olaf Pottery – Schedule a tour to see an amazing pottery artist in action!
- Moonshine Glass – Amazing, hand-blown glasswork. Russell Ford’s creations are not only beautiful, they’re functional! He makes bowls, vases, and even beer steins!
6. Can’t-Miss Day Hikes
While many people visit Joseph, Oregon for an unforgettable white water rafting adventure, we can’t not mention the area’s incredible day hikes!
A few of our favorites include:
- Maxwell Lake
- Brownie Basin
- Mirror Lake
- Bonnie Lakes and Dollar Pass
- LaGore Lake
- Ruby Peak
- Copper Creek Basin
- Blue Hole from Indian Crossing Trailhead (The area’s best swimming hole, in our humble opinion!)
7. Kick Back & Enjoy A Great Meal!
Yes, Joseph is a great place to enjoy the great outdoors. But is there anything more satisfying than a delicious meal after a day outdoors? We don’t think so!
Luckily, Joseph is home to some really incredible restaurants that specialize in serving great meals made from local ingredients.
- Imnaha Tavern – Perfect for adventurous eaters. Try the deep-fried frog legs, chicken gizzards, and rattlesnake. Or just enjoy an ice-cold PBR at this local hangout.
- Rim-Rock Restaurant – Located on Highway 3, overlooking Joseph Creek Canyon the Rim Rock is a perfect place to stop for a meal! The Rim Rock Burger is always a crowd pleaser! And don’t forget to save room for a piece of Chocolate Cream Pie!
Request The Complete Insider’s Guide to Joseph Oregon
Whether you’re planning to take a fishing or rafting trip with us, or just visiting the area on your own, you can request a free copy of The Insider’s Guide to Joseph Oregon. Just sign up here!
Photo credit: nan palmero via VisualHunt / CC BY
Photo credit: theslowlane via Visualhunt.com / CC BY
Photo credit: ex_magician via VisualHunt / CC BY
Photo credit: Eric Gropp via Visual hunt / CC BY
Photo credit: Sam Beebe, Ecotrust via VisualHunt.com / CC BY