Happy 40th Birthday Hells Canyon National Recreation Area
Happy 40th Hells Canyon National Recreation Area (HCNRA)! Honestly, you don’t look a day over 120 million. In tribute to this amazing canyon we get to bring visitors to each summer, we thought we would list some fun facts about the region:
* U.S. Congress established the HCNRA on December 31, 1975
* The recreation area was established to protect the historic and archaeological values
of the Hells Canyon area and the area of the Snake River between Hells Canyon Dam and
the Oregon-Washington border.
* 215,000 acres (900 km2) of the recreation area are designated the Hells Canyon
* The HCNRA encompasses 652,488 acres (2,640.53 km2)
* Nearly 900 miles (1,400 km) of hiking trails exist in the recreation area
* Within the HCNRA is Hells Canyon Archeological District, a 12,000-acre (4,900 ha)
historic district that is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The
district includes 536 contributing sites, 23 contributing buildings, and 58 other
* The largest portion of the HCNRA lies within Wallowa County, Oregon
Below is a chart showing the depth difference between Hells Canyon and the Grand Canyon.